We did it!

Thank you to everybody who supported us and worked with us to get a new contract! FEA approved it and the school board ratified it. It's official! Hooray!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"The Teacher Who Made a Difference"

I'm tired of writing about bad news. I'd like some good news.
I'm asking readers to post their stories about "the teacher who made a difference" for them. No names are necessary. Just tell me about your favorite teacher and why they were amazing.

We all need happy stories once in awhile.

I'll go first.
In elementary school I had a music teacher (some of you may have had her too) who was wonderful. She was energetic, warm, loved kids, and was a little bit crazy. She'd decorate her whole room for halloween (the piano was a space ship), we played music note bingo for jawbreakers, and there was a box to request copies of songs we liked to sing. It may sound silly, but some of my favorite memories were in that room. I still remember what a half rest and a fermata look like, and I've never lost the love for music she instilled in me. I'm not a musician, but I can appreciate it, and I can sing in the shower. The most amazing thing was a field trip to her house. She lived with her mother and sisters, and they turned the house over to children for a day, with games and a barbeque, and we stopped at Dairy Queen on the way back. (Did I just date myself or what?) It was the highlight event of elementary school.

What an amazing woman, that she was willing to open her home to hordes of children, that she could instill music theory and appreciation in wiggling youngsters, and that I still remember her fondly after all these years. Thank you. You're part of the reason I teach.

Your turn.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh....me, me, me!

I had so many fantastic teachers, but I think I'll share one of my elementary teachers, too. Mrs. Lewis was my teacher in 4th grade and again in 5th grade. She had such a great sense of humor and encouraged us to laugh and have fun at school. That didn't stop her, however, from expecting the best from us. She took us on an imaginary wagon train trip from the east out on the Oregon Trail. She taught us really wacky songs that taught us something, too ("In 1814 we took a little trip...").

But I think I really appreciate the fact that she taught us how to treat each other with respect and civility. My 5th grade year with her was a 4th/5th blended class. She always expected the "olders" to be a good example and helper to the "youngers". She gave us responsibilities and set us free to fulfill them independently (and helped us find our way back when we failed). Mrs. Lewis is one of the reasons I became a teacher.

Man, sometimes I wish I were a kid again! ;o)

DavidEmig said...

Wow, I had to think really hard on this one. I have had so many excellent teachers that have impacted my life in different ways that its hard to choose one. But if I had to choose absolutely one, it would have to be *drum roll* Mr. Stoddard.

Mr. Stoddard has more than likely changed my life more than anyone else has. He has always been there for me, but at the same time helped me watch myself fall in certain situations just so I can get some sense knocked into me. Mr. Stoddard is the kind of guy that will so whatever he believes in and is true no matter what others think. I would know this well from experience.

I remember during the 2007-2008 school year, Stoddard was walking me to my locker from the ISS room so I could grab some stuff to work on, and on our way down to my locker Stoddard was asking me what I was doing and why I just decided to shut down and not care about school anymore. I had no answer for him. As we continued down the hallway to my locker he told me something that I will always look back on: He told me that no matter how crappy my life is and whats going on in it, I need to do my best in school. Not for my parents, for my friends, but for myself.

Ever since Mr. Stoddard told me that I've slowly gotten my act together and I'm proud to say that I do my best in school everyday, I take part in more after school activities and I don't let anything let me down.

Stoddard is one of the few teachers who have opened my eyes to me becoming a teacher after I go to college then do time in the military. ... Not an english teacher though. I'm doing history ^_^

Anonymous said...

Benjamin Rainbolt, Vocational Agriculture teacher(FFA, Future Farmers of America)Valley High School Gilcrest Colorado, 1983-1986.

Mr. Rainbolt taught us/me that you don't have to be a Jock to be a success. You should strive for perfection in what ever you do even, if its cleaning toilets! and that little nugget of wisdom has served me well in the military! Ben allowed us to be who we are yet when we went on school trips or represented our FFA chapter you better have your S*%$ together and not act a fool or you would incur the RATH that was Mr. Rainbolt. and i quote "You represent your school, your family and your self, make damn sure people know your name for the right reasons" He let us be responsible for our actions and held us accountable. I am still proude of the awards the FFA chapter recieved, we were #1 in the state for 6 years running and had several state officers to include my brother Matt.

If i am to remember any thing of high school it will be Ben Rainbolt and his ability to get the best out of all his students. Even though as a high schooler i had a better mustache!

Unknown said...

My best teacher(s)...the kids. If ever I could credit a source of inspiration and satisfaction in this jacked up world; it's the kids. they keep me honest, cause me to reflect, challenge me, and give me lots of yucks to share with friends and family. I hope this site continues to advocate for students and the families and educators that support making the world what it should be, not what it appears to be.

Thanks,
Stoddard